top of page
Production Still-5.jpg

Workers’ Compensation & Personal Injury FAQ

Answers from Experienced Birmingham Attorneys

When you have been injured, whether as the result of someone else’s negligence or in the context of your job, you have rights. Unfortunately, the laws surrounding workers’ compensation and personal injury cases are complex.  The help of a skilled attorney can be invaluable.

If you find yourself faced with a workers’ compensation claim or a severe injury caused by someone else, you may have questions about how to proceed in order to protect your rights. Read on for the answers to some of the most common questions that injured Alabamians have asked us. Note, this website does not form the basis of advice for your claim or question  nor does it create an attorney/client relationship between you this firm.  We do, however, encourage you to call with questions or inquiries regarding representation.  We are happy to hear from you and ready to help.

I was injured at work and my employer is giving me a hard time. How should I proceed? 

An uncooperative employer can make a workplace injury all the more challenging. If your employer is not helping you the way they should be, it is in your best interest to contact an experienced workers’ compensation attorney to fight for your rights. Any injury that is work-related should be compensated by your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance company. If your boss will not help, we can.

What should I do if my workers' compensation claim was denied?

If your workers' compensation claim was denied, you have the right to appeal their decision. Unfortunately, workers’ compensation claims administrators deny many worthy candidates for benefits. For the best chances of a successful appeal, you will want a skilled workers’ compensation attorney on your side. Your lawyer can uncover further evidence that works in your favor and create a convincing argument for why you deserve benefits.

Do I have rights if I was injured by a defective product?

You have rights if you were injured by a defective product. When a manufacturer produces an item and puts it on a store’s shelf, the product is expected to be safe for consumers. If you purchased a defective item, consumer protection law gives you the right to pursue compensation for your injury. You will need sufficient evidence that the product directly caused your injury, but a personal injury attorney can help develop a case that presents your evidence in a convincing way.

My loved one passed away due to an accident that someone else caused. How can I seek justice?

If you loved one passed away due to an accident that someone else caused, this is called wrongful death. In the event of the wrongful death of a loved one, you have the right to pursue compensation. A skilled personal injury attorney can analyze the details of the accident and determine whether you have a case that is worth pursuing.

What is SSDI?

SSDI is Social Security Disability Insurance. Individuals who are unable to work due to an injury and lack a disability insurance plan through work can apply for benefits if they are insured under SSDI. Eligible individuals must have a documented medical condition that meets Social Security’s requirements and must have been paying into Social Security for a certain amount of time.

Am I eligible for workers' compensation if I am part of a union?

Yes, you are eligible for workers' compensation if you are part of a union. Union workers who are injured on the job are eligible for benefits through their employer’s workers’ compensation insurance. In fact, union workers are often entitled to even more benefits than non-union employees under their collective bargaining agreements and Union Welfare Funds that may have been set up.

bottom of page